Here are 6 tips you can apply to your social efforts that will ensure you stay out of hot water when joining the conversation.
- Brand infusion is okay sometimes, but product and mascot infusion is never ok.Connect product with the event happening: Cinnabon, Coke, Crocs.
- NEVER mix your promotional efforts, sales activity or brand gain of any kind with a sensitive subject: Gap, Kenneth Cole and Bing.
- Treat every tribute as if the person most affected by that event is the only person to read it: Disney- Robin Williams, American Express-Hurricane Sandy
- Just because it’s happening, doesn’t mean you should mention it– Prince- Chevrolet
- Be selective and strategic about what conversations you decide to join.
- Keep out of trouble, be a relevant part of the conversation and be effective.
So many brands try to be relevant by showing their face on social media during a time of need. Some brands do it in a very classy way and others find a way to mess it up. Even the BIGGEST brands have been caught in this web. Follow these tips to be relevant, classy, PC, and deliver a sincere message that resonates with your audience.